EXPLANATION OF AMOEBA FEEDING IMAGE:
Illustration showing the fresh water protist (protozoan) Amoeba proteus feeding on a small ciliate. Starting at upper left:
1. Amoeba extends pseudopodia in vicinity of food.
2. Pseudopodia surround prey.
3. Prey is now completely engulfed in a Food Vacuole.
4. Food vacuole moves towards the rear end (uroid) of the amoeba.
5. Water is extracted from the Food Vacuole and digestive enzymes are added.
6. Finally, the undigested material is ejected at the cell surface.
Image (Artwork) of Amoeba proteus feeding. This image is 800 pixels across, the original image is 4200 x 2534 pixels.
AMOEBA - classification
(taxonomy) from ITISall protist images / PROTISTA / PROTOCTISTA / PROTOZOA PICTURES: / Protozoan / Phylum Rhizopoda (Amoebas or Amebas) / Set of images of Amoeba engulfing prey (phagocytosis)